Periodontal Gum Grafting in Elk Grove Village, IL
Are you struggling with significant gum recession? Are your teeth sensitive where your roots are exposed? You may be an excellent candidate for gum grafting.
Elk Grove Village dentist Dr. Vishal Advani is highly skilled in custom tailoring gum grafting treatment for his patients who are in need of this advanced procedure.
Causes Of Gum Recession
Gum recession is the exposure of your root when the gum tissue pulls back from the tooth. Gum recession can worsen over time and create sensitivity, discomfort, plaque buildup, and an unattractive smile. In severe cases of gum recession, bone and tooth loss may occur.
Recession of the gum tissue typically has a few main causes:
- Malocclusion, or a bad bite, contributes to gum recession because your teeth may not come together correctly, causing abnormal amounts of pressure on certain areas of your bite. This pressure, as with clenching and grinding, can cause the gums to recede.
- Periodontal (gum) disease is an active infection inside your mouth. These infections are highly acidic and can destroy gum tissue if not treated properly. Periodontal disease is often considered the main reason for gum recession.
- Aggressive brushing can irritate delicate gum tissue and cause recession to occur. If you have questions about proper brushing techniques or which type of toothbrush to use, we would be happy to answer those for you. Harder is not better when it comes to brushing your teeth.
Women experience hormonal changes throughout their lives that may contribute to gum disease and recession. Other conditions such as dry mouth can be related to hormonal issues and can make proper dental hygiene a challenge.
Gum Grafting Treatment
If gum recession progresses far enough, gum grafting may be necessary to maintain the health of your teeth and bone. Gum grafting is a surgery that replaces the tissue that has pulled back from your tooth and covers the root.
At Elk Grove Smile Center, we tailor your treatment to your specific needs. We believe that each patient is unique, and that is how we approach your condition. Dr. Advani will be able to provide a treatment plan based on your individual condition and offer his honest opinions about the procedures that may work best for you.
Gum grafting utilizes tissue from your own body or a tissue donor to replace the gum tissue lost due to recession. Dr. Advani’s skills combined with the latest technology make this treatment highly successful, relatively pain-free, and long lasting. We will give you instructions after your surgery and follow up to make sure proper healing occurs. Many of our patients’ grafts last a lifetime.
The benefits of gum grafting are compelling. They can decrease or eliminate sensitivity, improve the appearance of your smile, eliminate the need for repeated bonding to cover your roots, and maintain the health of your teeth and bone.
Call Now for an Evaluation
If you have gum recession or sensitivity or if you have already been told that you require gum grafting, call our Elk Grove Village dental office for an initial evaluation. We look forward to offering solutions to your condition and helping you achieve and maintain optimal dental health for a lifetime.
- Botox for Cosmetics and Facial Pain Treatment
- All-on-4 / Implant-Supported Teeth/ Teeth in a Day
- Bone Grafting & Guided Tissue Regeneration
- Occlusal and TMJ Therapy
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Periodontal Gum Grafting
- Root Canal Therapy
- Same-Day Emergency Dental Care
- Six Month Braces (Short-Term Ortho)
- Teeth Whitening
- CEREC Same-Day Crowns
- Cosmetic Dentistry & Dental Veneers
- Crowns and Bridges
- Dental Extractions Including Wisdom Teeth
- Minimal Oral Sedation
- Dental Implants
- Invisalign and Adult Orthodontic Treatment
- Mercury-Free Tooth-Colored Fillings