Are orthodontics in your future?
Sometimes the need for orthodontics is obvious, but other times you might not even realize what is causing your problem until your dentist points it out!
If you’ve experienced any of these signs, please call our office today to learn more about orthodontics in Elk Grove Village.
Signs of Needing Orthodontic Treatment
- Visible Misalignment: We recognize that your smile is a key part of who you are, and some people feel that their crooked front teeth are charming or their tooth gap is a part of their signature look. While we certainly encourage you to feel good about yourself and express your individuality, it’s important that you make an informed decision about whether or not to correct a misalignment. Teeth that are crowded, overlapping, or twisted are more difficult to keep clean, making them more prone to cavities. If you can’t clean between your teeth, your risk for gum disease increases. Widely spaced teeth can trap food, increasing your risk for bad breath, cavities, and gum disease.
- Frequent Headaches: Your teeth might not appear out of alignment, but if you frequently wake up with headaches or you are prone to migraines, having your bite checked by a dentist or orthodontist is a smart plan. A misaligned bite is associated with a clenching and grinding habit called bruxism, and this often leads to tension-type headaches or migraines.
- Snoring or Sleep Apnea: If you snore at night, have the alignment of your bite checked. Adjusting the positioning of your bite with a splint while you sleep can help stop the snoring and even treat mild to moderate sleep apnea.
- A Short Lower Jaw: Does your chin appear weak or receding? It could actually be that you have a deep overbite. Without treatment, you could experience pain and other problems in your jaw, including clicking, popping, and locking.
- Speech Impediments: Do you have a speech impediment such as a lisp? The alignment of your teeth could have something to do with it. Check with your dentist.
Orthodontic Consultations in Elk Grove Village
Did anything on this list surprise you? Call our Elk Grove Village dental office today to schedule an appointment with Dr. Vishal Advani for an orthodontic consultation and be sure to share this list with anyone who might benefit!