When should I call for an emergency appointment?
The easiest answer to this question is:
If you are in pain, call us.
Dental pain is never “normal.” It always indicates that something is wrong. The earlier we can check it out, the better a chance we have of catching the problem when it can be easily solved.
Dental emergencies can take many forms, though.
Some of the most common reasons we see patients on an emergency basis include:
- Dental pain
- A “pimple” or lesion on the gums (this usually indicates an abscess, a potentially dangerous infection)
- A broken tooth
- A tooth that has been knocked loose or completely out
- Injury to the gums or palate
- A foreign object lodged between the teeth or in the gums that can’t be removed with dental floss or brushing
- Damage to a dental restoration
- A lost dental restoration
We can usually get you in on the same day for dental emergencies. In some cases, speed is definitely an issue. For instance, if a tooth has been knocked out, the sooner we can see you, the better chance we have of reseating the tooth.
Contact Us for a Dental Emergency
If you aren’t sure whether you are having an emergency, go ahead and give us a call. We’ll ask you the necessary questions to determine how quickly you should be seen. Don’t ever think that you are bothering us – this is why we are here!