Finding out if you need braces can seem overwhelming, but it doesn't have to be. Knowing what you can expect when its time for braces can make the entire process much easier. Here are some of the big steps that you can expect to see when you begin orthodontic treatment:
Your Orthodontic Treatment
- Consultation: The first steps towards starting your treatment will be a consultation with a dentist. During this consultation, your dentist will perform an exam, take x-rays and evaluate the best options to proceed.
- Placement: Once you have decided to move forward with your treatment plan, you'll schedule an appointment to have your braces applied to your teeth. Your dentist will review how best to brush and floss your teeth with braces on, as well as food restrictions during your treatment. For example, you won't be able to eat sticky foods and candy during treatment.
- Adjustments: You will visit the dentist regularly during the period of time that you are wearing braces for adjustments. Braces work to slowly move the teeth into a proper alignment, and your dentist will need to monitor the process. Adjustments are needed to replace the wires and bands used on your teeth, and to ensure that pressure to move the teeth is continued.
- Removal: After your period of treatment has completed, your dentist will remove your braces completely, and clean your teeth.
- Retainers: It's very common for patients to need retainers after their braces are removed. When braces are removed, your teeth may naturally want to shift back, so you need to use retainers to continue to hold the teeth in place until they have fully healed. Retainers come in many forms, and your dentist will advise you on how it needs to be worn, and for how long.
Orthodontics in Elk Grove Village
If you have any questions about the process for orthodontic treatment, or if you're ready to schedule your first consultation, give our office a call today to get started!