Keeping regular dental appointments may not seem important, but it is imperative to helping you maintain oral health. There are many ways that small, unknown issues can become more painful and expensive problems. At Elk Grove Smile Center in Elk Grove Village, IL, we want to help your mouth stay healthy and keep you smiling.
The Importance of Regular Dental Visits
- Prevention – Simply visiting the dentist every six months to every year can help keep your teeth clean and healthy. Many people believe that as long as they brush, floss, and use mouthwash twice daily that they don’t need to go to the dentist, but that isn’t true, bacteria can still grow and wreak havoc on your mouth.
- Oral health - Over time plaque can build up and become tartar which cannot be removed by simply brushing and flossing. If tartar isn’t removed it can get in between teeth and gums and cause gum disease and tooth loss.
- Detect current problems – If you have been neglecting your dental visits, you may already have issues such as gum disease, tooth decay, or cavities. What seems like a mild problem now can always get worse, and it is best to start fixing them instead of ignoring them until they are painful and costly.
- Detect future problems – Many don’t realize that dentists can detect non-dental related health issues early. General health problems such as diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and other inflammatory diseases can cause symptoms that your dentist should be able to identify through questions or exams. People tend to see dentists on a more regular basis than doctors or physicians so they can be the first to find these health issues.
- Discover oral cancer – If not diagnosed early, oral cancer can be life threatening. Keep up on dental visits can help ensure that if you do have oral cancer, it can be discovered and treated immediately before it spreads and causes further damage.
- Maintain a beautiful smile – Teeth naturally become more brittle and yellow with time, but routine visits will help keep your teeth in good shape. Cleanings will help maintain a whiter and brighter smile than brushing alone.
Make an Appointment
Whether you haven’t been to the dentist in years, go regularly, or need a major dental procedure we offer the best dental care in the Elk Grove Village area. If you need more information about our services, please contact us today!